*April 11th 2021: Programming Notice
In order to give our Drop-In kids an opportunity to come back to the Club, we will be running six week STEAM sessions in the Makerspace starting on May 3rd for middle schoolers/high schoolers with an active Club membership.
Each class can only have a maximum of 12 people so signups are first come first served, and are for the entire six weeks. (Meaning a member who signs up for Prop Design should be at all six Prop Design classes. They are not "one-off" classes. Each class will build upon skills and knowledge gained in the previous class.)
Participants must follow all of our COVID protocols (masks, distancing, handwashing/sanitizer during projects, etc.)
These programs usually span the whole school year, so these will be condensed versions where we try to cover as much as we can given the shorter time frame.
Viewfinders: While this program usually focuses on Photography, Graphic Design, Moviemaking, and Visual Arts, due to the time frame, it will lean heavily towards photography. Topics and projects will include Point of View, Perspective, Composition, Lighting and Diffusion, Portraits, Nature Photography, Storyboarding, and Choosing Camera Shots (Video).
Prop Design: For Prop Design we will be working on a long build over the six weeks, along with quick builds participants may bring home. Our long build is a Foam Craft Captain America Shield Replica we will make over the course of the six weeks using actual movie studio techniques so members may learn about cutting, doming, adhesion, metallic finishing, painting, and weathering. This is ONE shield we will be making together as a group. After the six weeks members should have the skills to create one of their own after the session should they wish.
Some of our quick builds will be Ubiquitous Gaze Eyes, Proto Putty, Clould Lights, Milk Jug Skulls, and Pressure Plate Circuit Switches.
Game Design: In game design we will be learning the terminology, programming basics, the concept of emergence, Intro to Scratch, Animating with Scratch, Game Design with Scratch, and finally Short Stories with Scratch.
Robotics and Electronics: For this class we will be building synthesizers, banana pianos, lemon batteries, and robots using the Mindstorms EVO kit. If time allows this group will also be the first to test out our new Spike Robotics kit.
Weird Science: For this program we will be all over the place with odd projects. The $6 microscope build, collecting water samples, building synthesizers, aerodynamics, wiffleball cannons, hot air balloons, hydrodipping, engineering challenges, and TinkerCAD/3D Printing.
To sign up please call 978-667-2193 ext 105. If you leave a voice mail please be sure to include your name, the member's name, and your contact info so I may get back to you.
Our STEAMcenter & Makerspace is home to most of the Club's STEAM programming. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math).
Our Makerspace currently has:
- A Makerbot Replicator+ 3D Printer
- A Makerbot 5th Gen Replicator 3D Printer
- A Glowforge Laser Cutter
- Two 27" Surface Studio 2s
- Access to ALL Adobe apps (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, After Effects, etc)
- 12 Surface Pro 7s
- 12 Samsung 10.1" tablets
- 2 Surface Pro 6s
- A printer, networked to each station for members to print homework and projects
- An Alienware/Oculus Immersive Education Virtual Reality station
- Multiple robotics kits
- The LittleBits Master Classroom Kit
- Access to a wide array of power tools and hand tools
- a 27" iMac
- a 70" 1080 HD touch screen SmartBoard
- 17 Digital Cameras
- 2 camcorders
- 1 4K GoPro camera
- a Celvano Digital Piano
- 5 Yamaha Keyboards
- 7 guitars
- 5 Alesis Digital Drum Pads
- Percussion Instruments
- 2 LaunchPads
- 1 Akai MPC Touch Music Production Center
- A substantial and always growing D.I.Y electronics kit (arduinos, Raspberry Pi's, Breadboards, Adafruit Circuit Playgrounds, soldering tools)
- 2 Electronics Labs
- Nintendo Switch
- 12 feet of standing workbenches with cutting/measuring mats, and a power supply
- Hundreds of titles from the Make: Library
- Sonos Ones w/ virtual assistant
- and more...New equipment, hardware, software, and tools are constantly arriving in our STEAMCenter
We offer a variety of classes and programs throughout the year such as:
- CAD (Computer Assisted Design)
- 3D Printing
- Virtual Reality/Immersive Education
- Video Game Design
- Laser Cutting
- Digital Visual Arts
- Hack the Planet
- App Creator
- Netsmartz Internet Safety Course
- Graphic Design
- Digital Music Composition
- Movie Making
- Video editing
- Building with Bobby
- Prop Design
- Guitar Lessons
- Piano Lessons
- Drums and percussion lessons
- Audio recording
- *NEW* SCRATCH THE SURFACE (an ongoing group art challenge that is focused on improving skill and developing positive drawing and visual art habits.)